Skip to main content

NaNoWriMo 2014

So my editing has definitely not gone as quickly as I wanted it to, so I've come up with a plan.  Last year NaNoWriMo was the kick in the butt I needed to get the first draft finished...so I figure it'll do the same for my second draft.

For those who don't know, NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month.  The idea is for thousands up people to sign up and help encourage each other to complete 50K words in 30 days.  Last year I didn't make it to 50, but I did manage 29K and it was the push I needed to finish.

So, my plan this year.  I am edited up to chapter eight.  Starting November 1st I will edit (or write) one chapter a day.  This will edit the remaining 25 chapters and 5 new ones to replace chapters I cut.

I need all of the encouragement I can get on this.  For the month of November if you see me online or out somewhere, ask me if I've finished my chapter for the day.  If I haven't, tell me to go do it, then ignore me.  I will finish this draft by December 1st.  If you help, who knows, you might get a signed first edition. :)

So, on to something fun.  It is said that NaNoWriMo writers are more likely to succeed if they have a cover for their book.  I tried the art forums, but its hard for them to make something if they don't have a feel for the story.  In the end I decided to try my hand at it.

This is what I've come up with.  It's just an idea.  It feels a little too twilight to me. What do you think? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Ab ovo" versus "In medias res"

"From the beginning" versus "In the midst of things" I have heard two very different schools of thought on where to start a story.  It is such a contested subject that there are words for both methods. Ab ovo: From the beginning.  Followers of this method argue that a reader cannot car about a story if they do not first care about the character.  In this method the story starts with the main characters day to day life and gives you an opportunity to get to know them and care about them.  This does not necessarily mean you see the them from birth, you just see their normal life before the inciting incident (the event that happens to the protagonist to change their life from the norm and sparks the action of the story). For example: We see Dorothy in Kansas before she goes to OZ.  We see Katniss in District 12 before the reaping.  We see Harry with the Dursleys before the owls start to show up.  There are many who start their stories in the most logical of place

Emails, and freak outs, and swords! Oh my!

So I was supposed to send my manuscript to the editor April 11th.  Today I received a surprise email, she had finished a project and could take my MS early. Yep, I totally freaked out.  You can ask my co-workers.  "Is my face red?  I feel like my face is red.  Oh god, I'm not supposed to be this scared am I?  That can't be normal.  Oh god." I was so excited, so scared, so nervous, all at once.  It is amazing that one person can feel some many emotions together.  I don't know anything to compare it to. So, I came home, gave it a once over, made sure the format was correct to Taryn's specifications, and then I did the scariest thing I've done in my writing career.  I sent my MS, my 10 year journey, my 4 month old baby, to an almost complete stranger. Taryn said she should be done by this weekend, but life happens so it may be longer.  Until then I am supposed to stay occupied.  Shouldn't be hard as I have a stack of new books to read, a

Chapter Slasher

Tonight I finished the first read through of my book with Taryn's notes. I did things a little differently than I'd planned too.  So here is my method.  I printed my manuscript in hard copy and placed it in a three ring binder.   I then went through and read it.  As I went I crossed out parts that needed to be cut, wrote notes about things that needed to be change, and marked areas where new scenes and chapters should be added. All told I cut about 7 chapters and nearly a dozen paragraphs from chapters I kept.  It was hard.  It was REALLY REALLY hard.  My hands literally shook when I cut my first full page.  I was sick to my stomach when I had to cut an entire chapter.  The words, these lines, these pages are my work.  I poured my heart and soul into them.  Crossing them out was the hardest thing I've done as a writer so far. My first cut chapter. Then way, you may ask, did I cut them?  Because it had to be done.  The new direction the story has take is ri